Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Quotes I Love





I am Barbara, the Grandma (or “Munga” as Tuesday calls me) of Mon Petit Mardi.
I grew up in Boston (not Boston, Massachusetts just Boston, I have always laughed at how arrogant we Bostonians are that we just know that there is no other possible Boston!) My grandmother was a Liberian so that is probably where my great love of books started. I can remember being so excited when she would come with a box or two of discarded books from the library for me. The subject matter ranged from fantasy to history. There was never any rhyme or reason to what she would include. As I got older I wondered if it was her intention to expose me to all genres or if she chose books by how pretty they looked all lined up together. I suspect it was the latter as there was never any type of order that I could tell on her bookshelves, but they sure looked attractive and all of her books were well used and loved.
I married a fellow book lover and I think even he was surprised at the number of books I brought with me to my new home.
As we grew our family it was important to me to pass along my love of books. From pregnancy forward I read to my kids, and like my grandmother I included every type of book I could. I am happy to say that love of literature has stuck with both of my girls and it looks as if Tuesday is on the same path. We go through a daily routine where she selects books to be read to her and then manages to convince my husband (aka PaPa) to read “just one more”. I am not sure if he gives in because she is irresistibly cute in her begging or because he is an avid reader too. Whichever the case may be, she usually manages to get several books a day into her busy 3 year olds schedule.
As I was reading some passages out to Todd and it occurred to me that book quotes might work as a blog subject, so here it is. Some of my favorite literary quotes on motherhood follow:

"A good mother loves fiercely but ultimately brings up her children to thrive without her. They must be the most important thing in her life, but if she is the most important thing in theirs, she has failed." ― Erin Kelly - The Burning

"Gilbert put his arm about them. 'Oh, you mothers!' he said. 'You mothers! God knew what He was about when He made you." — L. M. Montgomery - Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables Series)

 “I think this power of living in our children is one of the sweetest things in the world…” ― Louisa May Alcott - Jo's Boys

"A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts." — Washington Irving

“Motherhood is a choice you make everyday, to put someone else's happiness and well-being ahead of your own, to teach the hard lessons, to do the right thing even when you're not sure what the right thing is...and to forgive yourself, over and over again, for doing everything wrong.” ― Donna Ball - At Home on Ladybug Farm

“When your mother asks, "Do you want a piece of advice?" it's a mere formality. It doesn't matter if you answer yes or no. You're going to get it anyway.” - Erma Bombeck

“Think for a minute, darling: in fairy tales it's always the children who have the fine adventures. The mothers have to stay at home and wait for the children to fly in the window.” ― Audrey Niffenegger - The Time Traveler's Wife

“Does your ma know you're this silly?" she demanded tartly.

He nodded, comically sad. "The few gray hairs she has on her head are my doing. But" — with an exaggerated change of mood — "I send her plenty of money, so she can pay to have them dyed!"
"I hope she beat you as a child," Onua grumbled.” ― Tamora Pierce - Wild Magic


“I will look after you and I will look after anybody you say needs to be looked after, any way you say. I am here. I brought my whole self to you. I am your mother.” ― Maya Angelou - Mom & Me & Mom

“Just as there is no warning for childbirth, there is no preparation for the sight of a first child... There should be a song for women to sing at this moment, or a prayer to recite. But perhaps there is none because there are no words strong enough to name the moment.” ― Anita Diamant - The Red Tent

“I don't remember who said this, but there really are places in the heart you don't even know exist until you love a child.” ― Anne LamottOperating Instructions: A Journal of My Son's First Year

Did any of these quotes make you smile or touch a spot in your mind or heart?  There are so many more that I could include, but I would love to read some of your favorites. Please feel free to join the conversation by leaving your comments below.


No comments:

Post a Comment